In this lesson you can get to know some basic definitions in Excel.
There are basic definitions which you must know using Excel:
- Workbook - the basic document in Excel, typically consists of 3 worksheets. Workbook is a file, it can be saved with a name on your disc.
- Worksheet - part of workbook which consists of cells organized into columns and rows.
- Cell - part of the worksheet, which is located at the intersection of column and row.
- Active Cell - cell selected by the click of a mouse, surrounded by a frame.
- Address of the cell – this is the name of cell. Address consists of a column and row names, such as the A4 (the address of the cell that is at the intersection of column A and row 4). Each cell has its own address, which is a unique address within the same worksheet.
- Range - a group of cells. Range in Excel can be: cells in one column, for example, B3: B8, cells in one line, for example, A3: G3, cells with several columns and rows, eg C1: H9.
- Format - the appearance of the data, the way they are presented in a cell or range of cells. Format consists of for example style (Bold, italic, ...), border, background, text alignment, etc.
- Formulas and functions - all formulas that calculate the value based on the data from cells.
You must know this definitions to fully understand this tutorial.
Further reading: Getting started with Excel Cell References 11 best add-ins