In this lesson you can get to know some basic definitions in Excel.
Let's start from Excel definition. Excel is a spreadsheet program. This is a part of Microsoft Office software.
Excel is a great application to do such things as:
Why to use Excel?
Excel makes working with data easier. Excel communicates well with other parts of Microsoft Office such as Word, Outlook or Access. User can copy and paste within them.
When to use Excel?
Do you want to:
- …do some calculations?
- …create some chart?
- …filter or sort some kind of data?
- …create some VBA macro?
- …and many others
Do it in Excel!
How to use Excel?
You will learn that from this website. Not only Excel definition but also tips, tricks, formulas and charts.
There are basic definitions which you must know using Excel:
- Workbook - the basic document in Excel, typically consists of 3 worksheets. A workbook is a file, it can be saved with a name on your disc.
- Worksheet - part of workbook which consists of cells organized into columns and rows.
- Cell - part of the worksheet, which is located at the intersection of column and row.
- Active Cell - cell selected by the click of a mouse, surrounded by a frame.
- Address of the cell – this is the name of the cell. The address consists of a column and row names, such as the A4 (the address of the cell that is at the intersection of column A and row 4). Each cell has its own address, which is a unique address within the same worksheet.
- Range - a group of cells. Range in Excel can be: cells in one column, for example, B3: B8, cells in one line, for example, A3: G3, cells with several columns and rows, e.g. C1: H9.
- Format - the appearance of the data, the way they are presented in a cell or range of cells. Format consists of for example style (Bold, italic), border, background, text alignment, etc.
- Formulas and functions - all formulas that calculate the value based on the data from cells.
You must know these definitions to fully understand this tutorial.
Further reading: Getting started with Excel Cell References 11 best add-ins