In this lesson you will learn how to use TODAY function. This function is really easy and is more powerful than you thought.
The function returns the current system date, is mainly used in various forms. As well as in logistics, eg to calculate how many days was left to delivery / transportation day.
Syntax is just =TODAY()
It will display current date eg. 2013-07-30
As you see above TODAY function has no arguments. Its correct result depends on correctly set the date (and time) in Windows.
How to calculate how many years passed?
- Just use this formula: =YEAR(TODAY())-1986
Answer is 27 years. Yes, I am 27 years old.
- =INT((TODAY()-A1)/365.25) - write your date to A1 cell. It could we date from the future as well.
- YEAR(TODAY())-YEAR(A1) - another way to calculate year difference
How to calculate time difference using TODAY function?
- =DATEVALUE("2/11/2020")-TODAY() - difference between your date and current date. Remember about proper formatting of cell. It must be GENERAL or NUMBER.
- =A1<TODAY()-10 - checks if A1 date is earlier than 10 days ago. It could be useful with checking some payments from clients. Displays TRUE or FALSE.
- =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") & " Years, " & DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"ym") & " Months" - displays how many years and months passed from A1 date and current date
- =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") & " Years, " & DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"ym") & " Months, " & DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"md") & " Days" - gives you years, months and days between two dates
Other examples of TODAY function
- =DAY(TODAY()) - extracts current day
- =MONTH(TODAY()) - extracts current month
- =WEEKDAY(TODAY()) - extracts number of the day of the week
- =TEXT(WEEKDAY(TODAY()),"dddd") - displays name of the day of the week
- =DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())+1,1)-1 - displays the last day of current month
- =IF(TODAY()=A1,TRUE,FALSE) - checks if A1 is current date and dispalys TRUE or FALSE